a troubling day in school

>> Thursday, August 26, 2010

This morning Peanut and I  were reading about the Bedouins in the Arabian desert.  I was reading to her out of her history book, and this is the sentence I came to:

The Bedouin are Arabs who wander across the Arabian desert, herding camels, goats and sheep.

Peanut exclaimed, "That's terrible!"  I didn't see anything wrong with what we just read, so I asked her what she meant.  "They kill their animals!  That's so mean!"  Then I realized the source of her confusion.  I read "herding camels, goats and sheep," but Peanut heard "hurting camels, goats and sheep."  I guess pronunciation is extremely important!  :)

Later we finished reading Charlotte's Web.  Peanut has enjoyed the book during the past couple of weeks, but she was terribly disappointed in the ending.  "What?  Charlotte dies and that's the end?  How can they do that?  Who would make a book with such a sad ending?"  I guess she is learning books don't always have a "happily ever after."  But at least I know she's paying attention in school today.  :)

2 comments:

Luke Holzmann August 27, 2010 at 5:49 AM  

[smile] Yes, pronunciation is very important.

Glad to hear she's paying attention. May your times together discussing both the joys and pains of this world help her become the woman she needs to become.

~Luke

E September 6, 2010 at 6:42 PM  

Thank you, Luke! We are so thankful we have the privilege to teach our girls at home! It's such a blessing to be able to share this time with my girls.

  © Blogger templates Artsy by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP