Experimenting in the Kitchen

>> Tuesday, July 13, 2010

For the past couple years I've been looking for a simple granola bar recipe. There are oodles of recipes online, but they all have so many ingredients, most of which my children won't eat. :-) I was hoping I could find a recipe to make our granola into bars, but so far, nothing has worked.

Recently I made a mistake when making granola. Usually I half the recipe, but this particular day I decided to make a full batch. Unfortunately, I was still thinking in halves, so even though I used 6 cups of oats, I used half of everything else. The granola turned out pretty tasteless. I hated to waste all those oats, so I figured I might as well experiment with it. I'd try coming up with my own recipe for bars, and if it didn't work, oh well. The oats would have been tossed, anyway.

After a bit of experimenting I came up with something that for the most part, seemed to work! It still needed a bit of tweaking, and that's what I've been working on the past couple weeks. I think I have the recipe just right... I just pulled a batch out of the oven. We'll know tomorrow, when we eat them for breakfast. If this is "the recipe," I'll post it here. If it still needs some tweaking, I'll try to get it just right before posting. When I made them earlier this week my girls and husband loved them, but they were a bit too sweet for my tastes. So I've tried to cut back a bit on the honey, and we'll see if they still hold together. I should know in the morning!


  © Blogger templates Artsy by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP